Yes, full security systems, Ultra HD security cameras and reinforced doors are considered by a lot of people to be a great choice when it comes to security, but many overlook a basic component: your locks and keys. Let’s have an overview of the most important things when it comes to a locksmith service.
There are three common door lock mechanisms in Ireland, and some new systems are called “smart locks”. Let’s take a look at them:
Types of Locks
- Mortise Deadlock: this is a single bolt lock inserted into a hole in the door called “mortise”. They are the same size and come with different numbers of levers. The higher the lever number (up to five), the better the security.
- Sashlock: this type of lock has a handle and joins a latch and bolt. These are weaker than the previous ones because the maximum number of levers is three.
- Cylinder night latch: This is an older mechanism placed on the door and the rim, with a latch. You turn a key to get inside, and a handle to get outside. These are very weak in terms of security because anyone accessing the house can turn the latch.
- Smart locks: these are sometimes called “digital door locks”, and there are a myriad of choices. There are keyless locks which open with an app, key cards, and others. These are considerably more expensive than the rest.
Just by checking the list of different locks, you can see that choosing the right lock is no easy task, and it only goes uphill from there. Changing locks or upgrading them, repairing a broken lock, and cutting keys are all complicated tasks and the best idea is to call a professional unless you know exactly what you’re doing.
What the Locksmith Can Do?
So, what can a locksmith help you with besides helping you when you can’t access your home? Here are just some of the services they provide:
A professional can assess your lock needs better than anyone based on their experience and your specific situation. For example, a professional can analyse the weaker points of your home and offer different options.
They also have a lot of knowledge of different brands and mechanisms and will be able to recommend the best ones.
One of the most essential tasks for a locksmith is, of course, to change locks when they’re failing. You might notice the key gets stuck often, or it doesn’t lock properly. This is a clear sign the lock needs replacement.
Change locks when broken
The locksmith will remove the old one and replace it with another, a process that can take little time when done by a professional.
If you want to increase the security of your house, you can upgrade your locks for ones with more levers or a different system altogether. This is when the locksmith comes in handy.
The professional will recommend and install the best upgrade for that specific door, which can save you tons of research time and manual work.
Cut keys and rekey locksA typical scenario: you misplaced your keys and can’t get in. Instead of changing the entire lock, you can hire a professional to create new keys for you.
Conversely, you can get the locksmith to rekey your locks. This means altering the mechanism so the old key doesn’t work anymore. This is a cheaper alternative than changing locks.
Tips for Top SecurityAs you can see, locksmith services range from “useful” to “essential”. That doesn’t mean you can’t contribute to your own safety at home. Here are some tips to consider:
- Always keep a spare key set. It’s recommendable to give one to a friend or family member in case of emergencies. Keep this set in a safe location.
- Secure your windows, especially when you leave your home.
- Lock the doors at all times, when you’re in and out of the house.
- Use a safe for storing your valuables.
- Consider installing a security system and motion-detecting lighting.